Friday, June 29, 2012

i ate my way through iowa



nine weeks ago
i joined Weight Watchers 
and i LOVE it.

suddenly
i was understanding a lot more about my life
a lot more about my habits
and i was TOTALLY losing weight

i lost six pounds in six weeks!!


 AND THEN
three weeks ago

everything changed.

i went on four "vacations"
and by "vacation"
i basically mean
i'm suddenly driving 10 + hours OR flying across the country with multiple stops
i changed jobs
AND work hours
my sister moved in with us
AND
i lost my daily WW buddy
AND
i changed my eating schedule and food prep
AND
my income level shifts dramatically.

EVERYTHING changed.



and then i went to iowa.
and apparently there's nothing in iowa
except corn
and weddings
and aaron's family and friends
and really, really good food.

and i just went for it.

can i just say, "YUM!"

before i dive into my food fiesta,
let me just say
that
regardless of the fact that i blew through my WW daily allowances every day
WHICH I DON'T APPROVE OF
AND AM, OF COURSE, HOPPING BACK ON THE WAGON
FOR MY HEALTH, SANITY, AND ABILITY TO MAKE GOOD CHOICES
i really, really, really notice a difference in terms of my expectations.

before weight watchers
i DREADED the scale
and i dreaded my body.

i never understood what was going on!!
i'd eat a lot
and feel like shit
and not know why

and now
i still ate a lot
and i still felt like shit
BUT
let me just say
that it was NOT NEARLY as bad as it's been in the past

i chose my food differently.
i ate better food, more nutritious food
i WALKED or JOGGED or SWAM every single day

and, honestly, i was really HONEST with myself about what i was doing and what to expect.
and next week
when i get on the scale
and see my number has gone back to the starting point
(which i know, calculating my PP (points plus) totals, and watching my face,)
i won't be SHOCKED or HELPLESS or A VICTIM.

I'll still be in charge.
I'll still work hard,
work smart,
and be proud of my ability to begin again.

I'll set my goals
plan it out
see the end result
and GO.

Weight-gain is not my affliction.
Healthy eating, and learning to eat what I want (intelligently) is my goal.



AND NOW!
the delicious run-down....

(AND LET ME TELL YOU
aaron's family KNOWS how to bake
AMAZING cooks and chefs,
AMAZING)

I had the most amazing
coffee
champagne
cabernet sauvignon
and margaritas.
i had prosecco
some sips of tasty beers
bacon
ham
carnitas
rice
bean sprouts
strawberries strawberries and so many strawberries!
bananas
french toast
DAIRY QUEEN
a root beer float
vanilla bean gelato
some Lake Okoboji fresh fried cinnamon donuts
a hot dog
some french fries
smoked salmon
lemon tart
tomatoes
carrots
celery
a few lovely mixed salads
spaghetti
parmesan creme brûlée
pizza, pizza, and pizza!
a cajun burger
wedding cake
wedding cookies
and whoopee pies.

granted
this is over eight days, various meals, a wedding, lots of wedding-related parties, a birthday party, and a reunion.

i ate fruit every morning for breakfast
and exercised every day.

seriously, you'd think i was in a new country, but hey,
turns out iowa isn't so bad.
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment