Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Midpoint Education: Ava Luna (funky office dancing,) Bachelorette, Banderas, and Bear Hands

 
Ava Luna
 
Ava Luna starts out as a toe-tapper, but not in the ol-timey la da la da kind, in the "0o0o0 check it out! kind of way." They further impress by being smooth and groovy, nice throwback harmonizations with female back-ups, and kinda funky/modern with the bopping and the beeping. a doot doot!
 
"i always knew you were a dangerous one/and you just might make me lose my cool" from "Clips" kinda fun, very relatable. isn't every "other one" a dangerous one that makes someone lose their cool? I'm telling you what, all someone has to do is tell me they like me and i freak out. :) I attribute it to the "no distractions" part of my life, even though distractions have a very excellent way of doing what they like. :D
 
"just a regular day with a friend of mine/and i don't mind!"
 
**note--this is the first band that i've actually really transcribed some lyrics over. that's saying something! they're catchy, they're infused with the toons, they're spot on enough that i'm already singing 'em.
 
OH SNAP!! PLAY BY PLAY UPDATE!!
I totally just put my hands up in the air on this band and FUNKED IT UP!! AAAAHHHH!!! I'M IN AN OFFICE!!
i have a firm theory that the the amount of people watching at any given time is directly related to how stupid my actions are. AAAAHHH!
and of course, someone walked by right as i threw my hands in the air. i'm telling you what, i very, VERY quickly turned it into a high stretch. YYYAAAWWWNNN, i'm *so* tired. :P
 
YEAH! AVA LUNA'S got me dancing in the office! yeah yeaaaaah!
 
Ava Luna's got some serious range. going from funky, spike lee's "do the right thing" feeling to a little more industrial, a little more dangerous, a little bit heavier with all the same elements. "Six Seven" provides the first contrast for me, but it's there. They also have a "Four Five" which just cracks me up. Relating to the tunes, they've got this great vocalist with a White Stripes quality--strident, especially as a contrast.
 
Yeah, I'm surprisingly more into Ava Luna than I thought I would be. I'm definitely catching them at Midpoint. Yeah, Ava Luna, yeah! Way to win me over!
 
Five songs on their myspace, which i listened to thrice, each and am definitely hitting up later this evening:
"Clips"
"Past the Barbary"
"Six Seven (I Want to Hide Away)"
"Four Five (I Will Survive)"
"(Do Me No Wrong) While I Am Gone"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bachelorette
 
hmm Bachelorette's kinda good!
pretty spacey. strong lyrics, consistent, sensible beats. the music makes sense, the genre makes sense, the vocals are perfect. 
 
not my Midpoint hotspot (i'm a dancing fool,) but pretty darn good! i'd love to see the people who dance their feet off to this jam!
 
on my player, from their myspace
"Blanket"
"Digital Brain"
"Not Entertainment"
"Do the Circuit"
"Mindwarp"
"I want to be Your Girlfriend" 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Banderas
 
Snap. Banderas, I need some more music. Two songs on their myspace, left me hungered for an opinion.
Kind of hissy, kind of persistent, kind of passion-less, in the man-something-sucks-and-now-let's-rock-about-it. I imagine they headbang while making waffles and eggs for school-aged children in the morning.
 
On my player, from their myspace:
"50 Dollar Pyramid Scheme,"
"Disgraceland"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bear Hands
 
Yeah, Bear Hands, yeah! You're surprising me with how good you are! Yeah!
Beeping. Bopping. Boaping. which is not a word, but has to do with the constant beat beat beat of me bopping to Bear Hands. Nice for moving, easy for listening, plentiful for surprises.
GREAT vocals, with a hipper, hipster sound. Less angsty. More "shazaam today's the best day in the world."
 
OH SNAP. "Crime Pays" just came on. I'm LOVING it. A piano. A strong down up, down up, down up. AH. and then teensy vocals. So great. :) Makes me laugh. Makes me want to dance! makes me all into it!
 
ooooh, and for the first time today, they hit me with a love song "What a Drag," that makes my little heart skip a few beats. YEAH. I love that. Kill me, music, kill me right. Sheesh, check it out. Let me know if it kills you too, or if it's just me. <3 i'm sorry, i've totally gotta listen to "What a Drag," again. so good.
 
Loving this group. Polished, focused, not annoying, doing their sound and doing it WELL.
 
 
On my player, from their myspace,
"High Society"
"Crime Pays"
"What a Drag"
"Burning Bush Supper Club"
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
for more Midpoint Posts
check out
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment