Friday, August 5, 2011

Loco Cowpoke

It's no secret that there's at least twenty million things I love in Texas. TWENTY MILLION.

Honestly, and let's all be quite frank, what's not to love? :P


Am I right? Right????



But seriously, you've never been to Heaven (I don't care if you've died and had dinner with Jesus) until you've been to the Loco Cowpoke in Downtown Historic McKinney, Texas.


There's a couple alas-es to add to this post.


Alas! I did not take any photos while I was there today with Kristen (who also lost her mind in it!) (HELLO GOOGLE IMAGES!)


Alas! They do have a website, but it does not even do justice to Loco Cowpoke at all (believe me, it's okay, the walk-in journey alone will change your life.)


and Alas! I did not get to sample more than twelve Texas-based salsas, butters, mustards, bbq sauces, jellies, jams, foods, or peanut butters while I was there. No more than twelve, probably, sad face. ;)


So here's the rundown: I stumbled into this store ohhh, about a year ago, looking for quality Texas-Proud gifts. I googled "quality Texas items," and BAM, Loco Cowpoke appeared. Luckily, McKinney, TX is literally a hop, skip, and a jump away from my parent's place, and I was on the road in no time.


The store is snug as a bug on McKinney's E. Louisiana St, "snug" meaning it has a tiny door and is narrow throughout, but you don't really mind unless there's a couple eating all the peach-mango salsa at the salsa station.


**NOTE** Loco Cowpoke is expanding! Horray!


The owner is a real swell guy. I asked him his business the first time I was in and learned very openly that this guy specialized in horticulture, decided he wasn't spending enough time with his kids and not having as much fun as he thought he needed to (considering how hard he worked,) so he saved some money, made an investment, and BAM, his baby, the Loco Cowpoke, was born. This guy LOOOOVVVEEESSS Texas. Maybe even as much as me (maybe.) He deals with vendors and craftsman all over the wide state of Texas, bringing items into his shop that will certainly make any meal into a much more savory one. I cannot resist buying at least two jars every time I'm in there (very reasonably priced.) I've often touted a bbq sauce home for my dad (this time Caribbean Jerk,) and often make it home with the Fredericksburg Stoneground Mustard. OH! Also, the tastings and samples this guy puts out in his shop are the REAL sellers when it comes to merchandising. Honestly, nobody wants to be a pig, and this guy totally understands that--he lets you sample anything. SERIOUSLY. It's AMAZING. That is why I'm always buying things--because I taste them, they're 100% delightful, and they're suddenly going home with me to be sent as amazing gifts and presents to the people I love. So incredible.



My Loco Cowpoke Favorites:

Jalapeno Peanut Butter

Margarita Jelly

Fredericksburg Stoneground Peppercorn Mustard

Cinnamon Honey Butter



Please go! You'll love it!

Better yet, let me come with you! I love the Loco Cowpoke!

4 comments:

  1. Zooooooh my Gosh! I LOVE salsa!! This place sounds amazing and like it could only make my life grow!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love grow, I meant love. Still getting used to the iPhone, heh heh. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually salivating ... SALIVATING I tell you! They should totally take you on as a marketing person ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Lord, listen up, I don't have to do a thing more than tell you what's what at this place. Seriously. Go. Then tell me if it doesn't live up to everything we talk about here. :)

    Thanks for chatting, y'all!

    ReplyDelete