Friday, August 19, 2011

Mom and Popcorn




Remember when I was singing the praises (as they should be sung) of Loco Cowpoke a few weeks back?


Well this store, the Mom and Popcorn Co., are almost on equal par.


The aforementioned Kristen and I were sitting outside the Loco, waiting for the Madre to pick us up. It was hot, and we needed some respite.


I quickly scanned the street, looking for a shop that would annoy me the least.


Lo and behold! A cute sign! And a cute name! Mom and Popcorn, makers of gourment popcorn. Duh. Too cool.



We sauntered over, sauntering really the only thing one can do in Texas. The heat will immediately render you unable to lift your feet at all really, and so you end up just kind of sauntering everywhere, trying not to let your thighs touch.



Was that TMI? hmm...maybe.



Point being, we ended up inside a DELIGHTFUL candy store, totally adorable. One wall was lined with glass candy jars, a second of barrels full of nostalgic candy (oh so fun!,) and the counter was immediately facing the doors. The Counter, was beautiful. They absolutely do specialize in gourment popcorn, and they show it off well. Oh so beautiful, at least twenty flavors, all varieties (including my favorite "Texas White Trash,) :) and too many things for one to look at.



Kristen and I didn't spend as much time in there as I'd like. Well, we did spend SOME time, but it was the kind of time where's there's a lot of people in a boutique shop and so you all kind of ebb and flow your way along the walkways, not really getting to indulge in any of it. But we did make it out of there with a few treasures: two gigantic jawbreakers for my brother and cousin, nostalgic mint tins for the twins, candy cigarettes with Texas cowboys, a bag of White Chocolate covered Caramel Popcorn for Mom, and authentic Taffy strips for a friend.



My only hang-up was the staff, a little bit. I explained to them what I'd like in terms of the items they already carried on their popcorn menu, and they were unwilling to combine my order into one bag, saying simply that they didn't have a way to ring it up. Hello? I'm a customer, and I want to buy something special that you carry. I don't actually care if you charge me a little bit more for it, I just want it done. Period. The end. I'm sure you have a little misc. button somewhere, let's use that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment